What is Rum Good to Mix With? – Top 7 Mixer Choices for Your Rum
Rum, a timeless spirit with a history dating back to the 1600s, has always been a beloved choice among connoisseurs and casual drinkers alike. While it's a classic choice for cruise ships and tropical getaways, rum's versatility goes far beyond the beachside cocktail. If you're curious about what mixers pair best with rum, you're in for a treat.
We've curated our most beloved rum companions! If the muse of mixology happens to whisper in your ear, we've got rum too – shop Distillers Cut Premium Rum: World's Best Column Distilled Rum under 5 Years, 3rd year running.Shop Award Winning Rum
Join us on a journey to uncover the top seven mixer choices that will elevate your rum experience! 👇
1. A Twist on Tradition – Rum & Tonic Water
Tonic water is renowned for its role in the classic Gin & Tonic, but it brings a unique twist to rum when paired together. The bittersweet essence of quinine in tonic complements the sweet notes of rum, resulting in a refreshing and sophisticated drink.
- Fill a highball glass with ice.
- Combine one part rum with four parts tonic.
- Stir gently, garnish with a lemon slice and mint leaves.
2. A Zesty Fusion – Rum, Lime Juice with a Hint of Lemon
Lime's zesty flavours harmonise beautifully with the spiced essence of rum, creating a balanced and invigorating beverage perfect for warm weather.
In a cocktail shaker, vigorously mix lime juice, mint, and sugar for about 20 seconds.
Add 180ml of light rum and shake until thoroughly combined.
Strain into a glass, and garnish with lime wedges and mint leaves. For a milder version, top it off with soda water.
3. The Classic Dark and Stormy – Rum & Ginger Ale
The Dark and Stormy cocktail is a timeless favourite, and it's no wonder why. Ginger ale's fiery kick pairs harmoniously with rum, making it a choice that transcends seasons.
- Combine one part rum with three parts ginger ale.
- For an extra zing, add a splash of lime juice or simply garnish with lime.
- To keep it cool during summer, serve over crushed ice.
4. A Tropical Twist – Rum & Orange Juice
The marriage of rum and orange juice offers a delightful blend of sweetness and tartness, reminiscent of a tropical paradise. This concoction is a perfect choice for a sunny day.
- Mix one part rum with 2.5 parts orange juice.
- Enhance with grenadine syrup and a touch of lime juice if desired.
- Garnish with a twist of orange peel.
5. An Instant Caribbean Classic – Rum & Coconut Water
Coconut water's delicate flavour melds seamlessly with both dark and white rum, instantly transporting you to the Caribbean.
- Combine one part rum with two parts coconut water.
- Opt for vanilla rum for extra warmth and sweetness.
- Garnish with a slice of lime to complete the experience.
6. A Refreshing Summer Delight – Rum & Cranberry Juice
While it may not be as famous as its vodka counterpart, rum and cranberry juice offer a refreshing and easy-to-enjoy summer favourite.
- Mix one part rum with 2.5 parts cranberry juice.
- Add a wedge of lime for a delightful twist.
7. The Citrusy Sunset Sipper – Rum & Grapefruit Juice
This citrus-infused cocktail is ideal for lively gatherings or serene evenings on the patio. If you want to elevate it, consider transforming it into a Dirty Diana cocktail with peach bitters, agave nectar, and lime juice.
- Combine two-thirds of a cup of grapefruit juice with 90ml of light rum.
- For a Dirty Diana variation, add 25ml lime juice, 25ml agave nectar, and a dash of peach bitters.
- To mellow the intensity, top it up with soda water.
While there's nothing wrong with a classic rum and coke, these tropical rum mixers open up a world of possibilities. If you're eager to explore these enticing recipes but find your rum cupboard empty, fear not! Our online store boasts a wide selection of dark, light, aged, and spiced rums.Shop Premium Australian Rum